Monday 10 October 2011

'Good is' Chap Hop

From the crit it was clear I needed to develop my type face. After talking to Lorraine and a few others I was directed to look more at the people that are currently playing the ukulele. One of which is Mr B. The Gentleman Rhymer.

 This is the type face used for his own logo and branding, the type face is typical of the 1920's and 1930's when George Formby was around entertaining the country with his tongue in cheek songs.

Mr B. has brought the past and the present together by combining his old fashioned aesthetic and manner with the hip hop music genre of today.

This light heartedness and tongue in cheek humour is what I would like to come through in the tone of voice of my designs.




Another chap hop pioneer Is Professor Elemental who does the same collaboration of hip hop and ludicrous upper class rap. This song is a 'dis song' as he puts it, about Mr B. Although he doesn't play the ukulele I still thought it was in keeping with the development of my work and the inspiration.




No comments:

Post a Comment